1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

How to zoom in on a pic and it still look the same

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Glazed, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    You know how you can zoom in on a picture in Windows Photo Gallery, and it gets more blurry and "pixelated" the more you zoom in? Well, I was wondering, how do I get it to look great even if I zoom in alot? Is it possible?

2. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I think it depends on how high quality the photo is. If its getting all "pixelated" I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

3. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yea Psu is right i think..

4. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Alright, so zooming in is fake. You are not actually zooming in, you are streching the picture out so it looks bigger, and so you can see the details such as pixels, there is nothing you can do to make it look better, sorrys.

5. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    I didn't expect many options if any.

I got another question. How do I make it where my PS3 doesn't start a game as soon as the game goes in or as soon as the PS3 turns on and a game is already in?

6. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    psufootball is right, it depends on the quality of the picture

the higher the resolution of the picture (i.e. the more pixels it has), the more you can zoom in without it getting blurred

EXAMPLE
    say for example you have a picture with a resolution of 100x100 pixels
    -with 100% zoom it will look good
    -at 200% zoom you may not notice any quality deterioration
    -but at say 400% zoom the picture gets blurred, because at that level the view becomes blurred, because now you begin to notice the pixels

a better quality picture is a picture with a resolution of 200x200 pixels
    -with 100% zoom it will look good
    -with 200% zoom it still looks good
    -with 400% zoom it is still ok
    -however at 800% zoom it also gets blurred

There is nothing you can do about this. The more pixels you get in the picture the higher the quality, but ultimately it will become blurred if you zoom in too much like any other low quality picture. This process of blurring is caused by the fact that the surface of a single pixel is larger on the screen and therefore percieved to be bigger by your eyes. We look with our eyes, but we see with our brain. Our brain can no longer see the overall detail, when the surface of a single pixel gets bigger.

A higher quality picture is also a bigger picture. A high quality picture with a resolution twice as high as the resolution of a low quality picture will consume 4 times as much memory as a low quality picture (this is caused due to expanding surfaces), hence why a lot of programmers and digital artists may choose low quality pictures when memory is scarce. With 3D it's even worse and memory consumption may be 8 or 12 times as much depending on what technique you use and how many background pictures you intend to use.

There are lots of artists who know these effects and have used this fact/illusion of the brain in their art. Artists who use the pointilism style like Vincent van Gogh for instance. The expressionist style with Karel Appel of the CoBrA group is another such example. Appel's work "boogie woogie" is another extreme example.

It isn't surfaces alone that affect our brain. Contours and contrast also affect our brain and can also cause illusions. An example of an artist who has done work with contours is M. C. Escher. His work called "relativity" is a good example.

Illusions of surfaces, contrasts and contours not only affect our perception of pictures, but also the way we use maps. It gets worse with maps by the fact that the earth surface has an oblate form. A very good example of how illusions of surfaces and course or direction can affect our perception is when you use a different map projection, as can be the case with the military (the airforce may use a different map projection than the army). Omar Bradley is an example of a person who may have fallen victim to such an illusion when he planned operation cobra in France during WW2 (he may have used a roadmap when he planned an airraid (wikipedia gives another reason for the friendly fire, which is probably faulty)). Yet another victim to an illusion of how surfaces are rendered is Erich von Manstein who didn't notice the effects of what is called geographic exaggeration when he planned for the battle at Stalingrad.

Psychologists have also made use of such illusions and misperceptions, they're more commonly applied in many IQ tests.

The effects of illusions of surfaces, contours and contrast is also used of course in marketing and political propaganda.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    ^That's a lot of writing. To put it simple-

:D

8. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Lol and glazed you cant make it start straight away it will always show the game sponsers...

9. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    or to sum it all up ;)

it isn't just a hardware or software problem... it is also your brain

even if you get passed the software (have lots of memory) and hardware (have a really big screen) problems, there is still the eye and the mind that makes it appear blurred

our eye can only focus on so much... and what we focus on gets bigger in our mind, so to make the focused on pixel appear smaller we lose detail (hence it gets blurred)

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Oh man, I think I'm learning! Not cool. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.