1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

MMORPG and RPG

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by liza01, Nov 9, 2014.

1. liza01

liza01 Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    What is the difference between MMORPG and RPG games? It's been a week popping on my mind. Although I play some of them, still, can't tell their differences? Can somebody help? Thanks!

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    There are other people around in an MMORPG. That's about it. It's in the name, after all, Massively Multiplayer Online.... RPG. Well, I suppose that and MMORPGs tend to have longer lifespans than regular RPGs simply because MMORPGs remain in active development while also released, whereas regular RPGs are effectively final on release, though DLC does change that a bit.

3. Alvin Joseph

Alvin Joseph Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    A regular RPG is a role-playing game and is usually either single player or co-op. it includes games like Oblivion, Fable, and Fallout. An MMORPG is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game like World at Warcraft where you role play a character while playing with or against other people from around the world. Hope it helps. :D

4. liza01

liza01 Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Thanks for this information, now it made sense  just one question what’s DLC mean? I’m really a total player, yes I’ve played some games but honestly I do not know some of the game terminologies/abbreviations.

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Downloadable Content, typically an optional paid or free official add-on released for a game.

6. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    To me, MMORPG is just a loaded term. When I think "massively multiplayer", I imagine thousands to tens of thousands of players all over the place, but there are MMORPGs that have low player counts, so the "massively multiplayer" doesn't really mean much.

But the main distinction is that MMORPGs tend to have player interaction while RPGs tend to be more solo play with minimal or no player interaction.