1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Event Ideas?

Discussion in 'Ogres Hall' started by GameOgreVideos, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    What ideas do you all have for weekly events? Event winners would be rewarded with a "forum badge" (an image shown underneath their username above their avatar) and/or forum points.

Event ideas such as:

- Best blog of the week on a specific topic assigned by a moderator/administrator.
    - Best poem made by a user based on a specific topic assigned.
    - Best image made by a user based on a specific topic assigned.
    - Allow users to submit trivia questions, crossword puzzles, etc. and have the rest of community solve it to win a prize/forum badge/forum points.

Any ideas? :)

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Don't have any ideas but I'm not interested in any of the current ideas, trivia is already covered by multiple trivia threads so it's not needed.

3. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    My goal is to make the forum more active. What you are implying to me is you are used to the way GameOgre is and don't want it to change. I'm trying to push out ideas and bring out more events. Having been on various gaming forums, what makes a forum "active" is having lots of different events and being dynamic. Not saying that GameOgre is a bad forum to be on but it's always good to improve on things and try things out. Where exactly is the trivia threads. One of the things that could be improved on the forum is navigation. Experienced users like yourself know where everything is but new users might be like "trivia? there's a trivia on the forums?" You have to put yourself into the same position as a new user on the site. The easier it is for a user to browse a forum and find things to do, the better it will be.

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    Seriously??? You did not just say that... first please do not accuse people in this community of actions without any proof, ask anyone in this community and they can confirm this, I don't shoot ideas down just because and I ALWAYS try to do whats best for GameOgre. Second If you can't take criticism in a completely civil manner you shouldn't ask for it. I simply said and I will say it again:

Don't have any ideas but I'm(as in me)not interested in any of the current ideas, trivia is already covered by multiple trivia threads so it's not needed.

Trivia is not hard to find, I do put myself in a new users shoes all the time, Trivia can be found a couple ways:

One: Most the time it gets at least one post a day so it is almost always in "New Post"

Two: Trivia threads are vary active usually they are the first thread in the section meaning it's usually listed under "Last Post" on the forums main page

Three: The trivia threads are always towards the top of there sections

Four: This thread: http://www.gameogre.com/forums/ogres-hall/5077-game-trivia.html

Five: Click the search button and type trivia

Six: My personal favorite: search for the tag trivia or click this link GameOgre.com Free MMORPG Forums - Threads Tagged with trivia

Can't spell it out any better than that... if you miss it it's because you not using the forum.

5. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    I apologize for my post. I understand that moderators who have been loyal to a community for so long have proven themselves committed to the community and do their best to make the best choices for the community.

As a person of similar experience, I always allow others to criticize me so that I may be able to improve on my own site as well as the overall community experience. I think GameOgre is a gaming community of great potential and I believe it can grow tremendously as the days go by.

Regarding my post, I always respect the staff on any gaming site. I commend moderators for their job in managing the forums. I have no doubt that moderators do their best to keep things steady. The point I want to make is that there is room for improvement. There should always be an open-mind mentality when it comes to running a site and, of course, I know GameOgre has that mentality. The way you replied to my post made me think you didn't like my ideas and didn't want me to improve on anything. I apologize if I came off as trying to accuse you of anything. I would encourage others to input their feedback into events that can be created on the forums so we can have more activity. As I always say, it never hurts to try new things ;)

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    All I was trying to say was none of the current ideas for Weekly Events appeal to me(can't speak for others) as in they aren't things I'd like to participate in.

7. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Ah ok, well I'm sorry my ideas didn't appeal to you. I do encourage others to give their feedback in this thread topic :)

8. thundemp2007

thundemp2007 Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    guys that a good debate.But airgamer like Aadron said all MODs here are doing their best.You are very active for suggesting ideas and I think Aadron is happy about that but maybe it just not needed for now since there is already an existing guide that are not needed to be changed.But im happy there is someone like you to help this community.

9. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Of course there are many guides that have been posted but like I have mentioned to ogreman, instead of just "thinking" about all of this, why not execute these ideas and put it into action? ;) As many successful entrepreneurs will say, "change can be a risk but it is change that will make you a stronger company and stronger future".

10. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Having a weekly event for blogs or images could be cool. Obviously we have plenty of trivia already:D.

11. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Yea, the one concern I have about the trivia is that the trivia are all in one thread. Like the Runescape trivia is all in one thread and the MMORPG trivia is all in one thread. All the trivia questions/answers are all jumbled into on thread. I was thinking maybe it could be a new thread made for each question on a weekly basis or semi-weekly basis?

As for the other weekly event ideas, I'm still waiting on ogreman or a moderator to put those ideas into action ;)

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    No one has had any problems with trivia, making new threads each time would clog up the forums and slow down the pace of trivia. I don't see the problem of being all in one thread, the newest question is always in the first post and the last question asked in the thread. Past questions are clearly marked as they are the only non answer post in the thread. It keeps everything is one place.

Anyways no more trivia we've got enough as it is.

It's up to Ogreman not the Mods.

Ogreman already said there could be a weekly event but it has to different and has to be active. So far it doesn't seem like that many people are interested.

Here's the quote:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  13. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Not more trivia... and if you allow forum members to just post trivia for people to answer, there would be far too many, and it could be exploited by everyone to get a ton of points. Plus, there would be a lot of points that would have to be given out (and ogreman does all that work currently).

Poem? I definitely won't participate with that one.

Images? I'm a perfectionist with art, so I don't really have the time for an event like this. If it's weekly, there wouldn't really be any good quality art being sent in (good quality artwork takes much longer than a week on an average person's worktime, only people with too much time on their hands will do this event).

The blogs one seems good though. Good blogs really should be rewarded, like reviews on the review directory. However, I believe there already is a medal for the best blog, just not an official thread like Master Reviewer.

So... any ideas anyone?

EDIT: Thanks for moving it Aaddron.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  14. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Blogs are the best possibility since we have not done much in that area recently. Make a thread and a blog post about it to get it started. We are willing to try new things:).

15. AkashaGunn

AkashaGunn BamBam

Credit:
    I think that having a blogging contest on fictional work could be fun, something that just tells a story about our favorite game or subject and then letting the community vote would be cool. I am all for new ideas and games, then again I love writing. I know there are plenty of places here to do different things. I am just spouting off at the mouth, though i have my curiousity about a few things i will keep them to myself for now.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.