First round match in MMORPG Showdown 3.
This match-up pits two of the better looking free MMORPGs against each other. In fact Rappelz was GameOgre.com’s New Free MMORPG of the Year for 2006 while Sword of the New World was GameOgre.com’s New Free MMORPG of the Year for 2007. However these two games are also very different. While Rappelz is a standard fantasy MMO with little innovation Sword of the New World is a very innovative MMO that is set in the Baroque period of Europe. Those two key differences were mentioned in both the voting and the forum discussion but voting was still close in each. Weighing features against each other this match should have been a rout for Sword of the New World but it ended up being one of the closest matches yet. After all the smoke cleared the two games both had a final score of 7.2. Thus the forum voting was used as a tiebreaker to give Sword of the New World the narrow victory. Sword of the New World was defeated in the semi-finals last year by Lord of the Rings Online. Can it go further this year?
Tale of the Tape
- Free to play after buying one of the campaigns.
- Great graphics for a free MMO.
- GameOgre.com’s New Free MMORPG of the Year for 2006.
- Fun pet system. Pets include such various creatures as orcs yetis and skeleton warriors.
- Has major updates or versions known as Epics.
- Sells items through a cash shop.
- Point-and-click control system.
- Free to play.
- Some versions are known as Granado Espada.
- GameOgre.com’s New Free MMORPG of the Year for 2007.
- Impressive 3D graphics.
- Soloing is a major factor in the game due to the MCC (multiple character control) system.
- Can use experience cards to level up characters.
- Various forms of PvP such as family vs. family duels city vs. city PvP wars and arena style PvP.
- Players can control up to 3 characters at once.
- Every player has his or her own family. All the characters of a player are in that family and they all share the same last name.
Select Comments For Rappelz (Edited for Presentation)
Comment: There are better free MMORPGs but I like Rappelz over Sword of the New World. Rappelz is a grindfest but it’s more fun to play.
Comment: I think this game offers some nice features and is a well-polished game. Nothing too spectacular or new but it’s nicely done.
Comment: Good game but the point-and-click movement only hurts it. Also Rappelz needs more polish. It feels rushed then forgotten.
Select Comments for Sword of the New World (Edited for Presentation)
Comment: Sword of the New World definably has the lead of the two MMORPG. The features are more innovative and they bring the game to a different level than the practical stale foreign-MMO experience. The graphics are solid. For a game that plays free I doubt many can complain. The list of faults I could generate for either game is a rather small amount so both games certainly have potential. However the multi-character family system Sword has my vote.
Comment: Sword of the New World is much more unique than Rappelz. Rappelz is just another MMORPG where you move around kill stuff take quests blah blah blah. In contrast Sword of the New World has you control a TEAM of characters. No other MMORPG I know lets you do that. In addition it’s really easy to control the team. In fact its easier than it is to control one character in some MMORPGs. SotNW isn’t boring in any way either. It has lots of quests and things to do to keep you amused.
Comment: Rappelz is nothing. It’s your run-of-the-mill MMO. This is something unique.
Rappelz received a total score of 7.2
Sword of the New World received a total score of 7.2
Sword of the New World Wins Via Tiebreaker!